Saturday, October 16, 2010

Adding iPhone connectivity to a motorcycle - the RAM mount

After seeing a couple of pictures of GPS mounts, satellite phones, etc.. decides to cheaply give some navigability features to my F800GS.
Instead of buying more electronic devices, decided to leverage the connectivity heavyweight iPhone. With the installation of some software, it can be a versatile GPS device - just need to install it in a visibile position on the bike and also find a way to power it during longer drives.

After looking around for a while, narrowed the search down to two contenders for the support - the touratech and the RAM. Decided for the RAM because of the price difference. As for power, found a Power socket to Car cigarette lighter adapter, into that device I can plug in a regular Cigarette lighter to USB abd power the iPhone.

The RAM mount arrived today and I've been going around on exactly how to mount it. The mounts are very modular so you can mount almost anything, anywhere. The one I purchased has one module which is the Handlebar mounting kit (a U type bolt), and another module which is the iPhone support. Everything is connect by mounting balls. Very sturdy. After experimenting a bit, I didn't like the mount on the handlebars, as it's to close to the driving position and means you have to take your eyes really off the road to look at the screen. I decided to mount it on the structure which supports the windshield & the instrumentation panel. All with the pieces supplied by RAM, no further handywork needed.

First I unscrewed the windshield and took it off
I wrapped the F800GS support structure in cloth as to protect it (it's plastic) from the tightening of the ubolt.

Added some cloth inbetween the windshield and the U-bolt as to not damage the windshield (it's pretty tight and they touch)

After some tightening and putting the windshield back on, this is the result!


I only had the iPhone camera, so as soon as there's camera around bike I'll take some pictures of everything up & running - with the iPhone and the charger.

Details:
RAM-HOL-AP6U UNPKD RAM HOLDER FOR APPLE IPHONE 3G
RAM-B-149ZU UNPKD RAM U-BOLT MNT W/2.47DIA. X 2.47X1
BMW Powerlet to USB Charger

8 comments:

  1. Hi Mate, do you have bark busters on your bike? I tried this set up on my 800GS and it didn't allow lock to lock turning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No bark busters installed - stock it allows for lock to lock!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, I just got a F800GS and I am seriously considering this mounting option... has it held up well? Any concerns or suggestions? My main concern is that the "bar" that you mounted to may not hold up on some of the more "bumpy" terrain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Erik, thx for the comment - NO issue whatsever up to now!

    Mounted this in 2011, it´s now 2013 and the only change I did was to swap the iPhone 3gs cradle with a iphone 4 cradle....



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome, thanks Charlie... you get credit every time someone says how much they like that placement better than the bars!

      Delete
    2. When you mount it send in a pic!

      Delete
  5. Better late than never... (I hope!) you inspired me to write a quick blog about my final mount setup. Thanks again for your blog!

    jerikthompsonf800gs.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete